I got a Daily Deviation? Wat? *UPDATE* There are really cool official Light Up Soul Gems out there now, I bought some and did a little review [link] . They are the perfect size and look way better than other mass produced light up Gems I've seen. If you're not getting scalped, they're worth like ¥700/$8 tops . So if you're not motivated enough to make one yourself try to find one of those.
DOWNLOAD TO VIEW FULL-SIZE!
Paperclay, a plastic egg found in an Easter craft kit at Hobby Lobby, a Floralyte Submersible 1, a brown brushtip prismacolor marker, a thumbtack, Nail Glue, Clear Coat, Gesso, and Acrylic Paints.
A X-ACTO retractable, Embossing tools, Sandpaper, a nail buffer, and paint brushes.
1. Upon closer inspection it seems that there are actually 10 arches on the base, not 8. Sorry about that. EDIT: Okay the original artwork has 8 [link]
. This is the version used when the Soul Gem has to move in a shot and in the first few broadcast episodes. The finished design design AKA the CG model has 10. EITHER CAN WORK IT'S UP TO YOU!
2. If you have to paint your egg and plan on installing a light DO NOT BRUSH THE PAINT ON. The light will accentuate the brush strokes and it will look icky. Either Spray paint it or lightly dab the paint on with a makeup sponge.
3. Make sure to put a good gloss on the egg part before you put anything on it. This will protect your paint job from the carving and sanding.
4. When applying paperclay to a smooth surface it helps to put on a thin sloppy first layer. Once this layer is dry break it off and reattach it with a fast-action glue like Super Glue or Nail Glue.
5. Remember that the egg needs to be translucent NOT transparent. It it's transparent it won't diffuse light as well and the back bars will show when you look at it from the front.
6. Homuras who use my method should buy a Pink Floralyte. The Violet is actually a blacklight and too blue for her gem.
7. Soul Gems are about the same color pre and post transformation. Mami's Soul Gem is Orange when she's in Magical Girl mode and it's Orange in its handheld Gem form as well. Most people assume it's yellow because the light is yellow and she has it lit 99% of the time that it's on screen. Trust me though it's orange [link] [link] [link] [link]
-Bubble Necklace Eggs-
Used on [link]
, and [link]
Egg shaped Bubble Necklaces are available year-round. They're cheap, clear, and can make pretty Soul Gem eggs. To make mine I simply took one, filled it with just enough nail polish to coat the inside. After that I left it in a place where nothing would touch its sides. While the Polish is setting the plastic becomes malleable. I ruined two figuring this out. Sticking it in something like an empty fast food soda cup [link]
will work perfectly. Just stick it in as soon as you coat the inside. Do not touch it for AT LEAST 24 hours. AT LEAST. You can achieve clear, glittery, and Multi-tone Soul Gems with this method depending on how you mix your nail polish. It would also be possible to make one that is normal unlit and corrupted lit. I suggest putting something inside of a clear one. My new Sayaka Gem is filled with translucent film that casts a gentle Aurora of colors that doesn't come up well on my camera [link]
. PRETTY STUFF YO.
I hope this helps anyone working on this prop. If you have a specific question I will answer to the best of my ability. I am not open for Commissions.